These instructions are for participants who are completing the training in April 2017, if you completed the Foundational Academy at a later date, please also use these instructions.
Attendance at the Foundational Academy assists new victim service professionals to identify and understand their roles and job responsibilities as outlined by the PCCD’s Consolidated Victim Service Standards.
The Foundational Academy consists of three (3) components totaling 40 hours. These components include:
- A program-specific orientation training provided by the agency you work for (eight (8) hours).
- A three-day (18 hour) classroom-training component which is held in April and October each year in State College, Pa.
- An “online, independent study” component consisting of online reading assignments, some online Victim Assistance Training [VAT] course that participants complete on their own and WebEx Trainings (14 hours). The “online, independent study” component can be started at any time (but should be done no later than 60 days after the classroom training). Information about requirements and all materials for the “online, independent” portion of the training are available on this site page.
You must attend the Foundational Academy:
- If your position is PCCD-funded through RASA and/or VOJO grants and you provide service to all crime victims.
- If your position is VOCA-funded and you are not governed by PCADV , PCAR or NCA. (If your position is VOCA funded and you provide services to victims of crimes other that DV or SA, you must also attend despite being governed by PCADV or PCAR.)
This training is supported by a grant awarded to the Pennsylvania District Attorneys Institute (PDAI) by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency.
Training hours may be applied towards continuing training hours required each year as put forth in the PCCD Standards and the Center for Juvenile Justice Training and Research (CJJT&R). Participants will receive a certificate of completion upon successful completion of this course. In addition to reviewing the documents and the activities in the online, independent component, many of the OVC Vat online assignments include maintaining a journal and discussing the activity with your supervisor. The time assigned to each assignment includes this discussion time.
You and your supervisor must verify that you have completed the 14-hour online, independent study component of the training by signing the participant’s Completion Verification. The signed Completion Verification must be mailed to Donna Hull at 806 West Market Street, West Chester PA 19382. You will not receive a letter certifying their completion of the Foundational Academy until the Completion Verification is received by PDAI. The Foundational Academy Completion Verification is available as an attachment on this page.
Must Read Documents
Link to online training
To link to the PCCD online training use this link. If the link does not work copy and paste the address below in your browser.
23 Pa. C.S. § 6101 et seq.
An Overview of the Juvenile Criminal Justice System
Bill of Rights
CJS Flow Chart
Crime Victims Act
Glossary of Legal Terms
Homicide Resource Paper
Human Trafficking Resource Paper
Identity Theft Resource Paper
Impaired Driving Resource Paper
Intimate Partner Violence Resource Paper
Pennsylvania’s Juvenile Justice System Goals
PFA Relationship Requirement Fact Sheet
Prison Package Education Handout
Prison Package Summary
Sexual Assault Resource Paper
The Adult Criminal Justice System
Victim Restoration White Paper
The next Basic Compensation Web Ex Training will be held May 25, 2017. You can register on the PCCD Victim Services Online Training Page.
Donna Hull – Victim Services Training/ SAVIN Consultant
Tamara Heagy – Invoicing
Patricia Blascovich – Contracts