Armstrong County Assistant District Attorney
DEPARTMENT: District Attorney’s Office
An Assistant District Attorney is first and foremost, a trial attorney, and as such must possess superior analytical abilities, excellent communication skills, a thorough comprehension of the current state of the law, and a commanding presence in the courtroom. The Assistant District Attorney maintains a standard case load, which includes the prosecution of all types of misdemeanor and felony criminal offenses. The Assistant District Attorney is responsible for handling all phases of prosecution for all cases assigned to him or her from pre-arrest investigation through post-sentencing appeals. The Assistant District Attorney also acts as a consultant and advisor to law enforcement officials, probation officers and other service providers in the criminal justice system.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversight of Administrative staff assigned to assist the Assistant District Attorney.
- Screen assigned cases for arraignment, plea offer, pretrial litigation, trial presentation and post-trial litigation.
- For all assigned cases:
- Conduct any and all pretrial and post-trial hearings, bench and jury trials, summary conviction appeals, preliminary hearings and any other court matters.
- Prepare and file forfeiture petitions.
- Prepare plea offers and communicate them to defendants and their attorneys.
- Verify the Rule 600 status of each case.
- Prepare pretrial, post-trial and appellate briefs and memoranda of law.
- Coordinate activities with law enforcement, the County Detectives, support staff personnel, Case Manager and Victim/Witness Coordinator.
An Assistant District Attorney must be a licensed attorney, admitted to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania with preferably at least several years of experience practicing in a courtroom setting. Extensive trial experience as well as experience in criminal law is a plus.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The Assistant District Attorney is a full-time employee of the Armstrong County Office of District Attorney. Salary range is $65,000-$70,000, depending on experience. The Assistant District Attorney is eligible for health insurance and a county benefit package.
Resumes can bee sent to:
500 E. Market Street
3rd Floor, Suite 323
Kittanning PA 16201