Montgomery County Assistant District Attorney
The Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office has immediate openings for attorneys, both trial attorneys and appellate attorneys, of all levels of experience to work as prosecutors seeking justice for victims of crime, criminal defendants, and the community.
The mission of the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office is to keep Montgomery County safe by working with the entire law enforcement community to fairly investigate and prosecute criminal activity. The office fights for justice in the courts and, at the same time, seeks to protect the rights of both crime victims and the accused. Equally important is the office’s commitment to community-based crime prevention and education programs.
Assistant District Attorneys work closely with law enforcement, victim service agencies and other community groups throughout the county to achieve the office’s mission. Attorneys throughout the office play a key role in investigations and charging decisions pre-arrest, in addition to traditional prosecutorial duties in the criminal justice system post-arrest.
This office is looking for energetic, hard-working candidates from diverse backgrounds and experiences with a commitment to public service and teamwork. The position requires critical thinking, oral advocacy skills, and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment. While demanding, the job is incredibly rewarding for those who want to make a difference in people’s lives and the community. The position also qualifies for public service loan forgiveness.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Forging and maintaining relationships with law enforcement agencies and community partners
- Preparing and conducting a variety of pre-trial criminal hearings at all levels of the criminal justice system, including but not limited to preliminary hearings, probation & parole violations, bail hearings, habeas corpus hearings, and other matters scheduled in miscellaneous court
- Drafting legal memoranda, including but not limited to appellate briefs, responses to federal habeas corpus petitions, and answers to petitions for post-conviction collateral relief, in all levels of the state and federal criminal justice system; preparing and conducting post-conviction hearings in the trial court and oral arguments before both the state and federal appellate courts; and assisting trial attorneys with legal research
- Providing investigative guidance to law enforcement and assisting in the preparation, approval and execution of search warrants and court orders for records
- Prosecution of criminal cases, including the preparing & responding to pre-trial motions, and conducting criminal trials before judges & juries for misdemeanor, felony and homicide cases
- Responding to requests from law enforcement during business and non-business hours
- Engaging in community outreach
- Performing job related tasks and responsibilities as required
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree
- Admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar, taking the bar exam, or eligible to waive into the Pennsylvania Bar
- Knowledge of Pennsylvania Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, & Rules of Evidence
- Legal writing & oral advocacy skills
- Ability to handle multiple challenging assignments with attention to detail, organization, and critical thinking
Salary: $60,047 – 78,062 annually
Sign-On Bonus: 10% of the annual salary
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter addressed to Brianna L. Ringwood, Deputy District Attorney. Applications will be accepted by mail or through the Montgomery County online employment application portal.