North Dakota Assistant State’s Attorney
Position: Assistant State’s Attorney
Location: Williams County – ND
Compensation:$85,000-$100,000 depending on experience and training.
Job open: 09/08/2022 – 11/7/2022
The Assistant State’s Attorney provides support to the State’s Attorney by prosecuting criminal offenses and providing legal representation to Williams County regarding civil matters.
Examples of Duties:
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents in this position. The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and may change with or without notice. Incumbents must be able to perform the essential function of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Conducts criminal prosecutions and civil litigations
- Attends and represents Williams County in various courtroom proceedings, such as bond hearings, pre-trial hearings, suppression hearings, bench trials, and jury trials
- Drafts and files motions, briefs, and other pleadings
- Reviews law enforcement records and prepares criminal charging documents
- Consults with law enforcement personnel regarding investigations and legal procedures
- Presents criminal and non-criminal juvenile petitions to the Court for adjudication and disposition
- Presents mental health involuntary commitment petitions to the Court for consideration and disposition
- Oversees the child support establishment and enforcement
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of techniques, information, and developments in the legal field
- Assists in the duties of the State’s Attorney in their absence or as requested
- Maintains confidentiality of non-public records and makes available all data and information deemed a public record by the North Dakota Century Code.
- Juris Doctorate Degree
- Must be a member in good standing with the North Dakota State Bar Association OR be able to obtain licensing shortly after hire
- Two (2) years of law experience, preferred
- Must possess a valid North Dakota Driver’s License or equivalent
- Must pass a thorough background check and pre-employment drug and alcohol screening
Special Working Conditions:
- Must be available to provide on-call legal assistance outside of regular work hours
Compensation: Compensation for this position is $85,000-$100,000 depending on experience and training. Williams County provides generous benefits to full-time regular employees: paid sick and vacation leave, a fully paid health/dental/vision benefit plan for employees and dependents, term life insurance of $25,000, 100% contribution toward retirement benefits through the ND Public Employees Retirement System, and 12 paid holidays each year.
To learn more about Williams County, please visit our website: Welcome – Williams County, ND
All offers of employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment drug screening, background check, and reference review.