Washington County Assistant District Attorney
An assistant district attorney is responsible for preparing and prosecuting criminal cases from preliminary hearing to completion, which may entail a jury trial, non-jury trial, or any other non-trial disposition such as a guilty plea, diversionary program, or appeal. This position must be responsive to citizens, victims, law enforcement personnel and the policies of the District Attorney’s Office in the disposition of their cases.
Applicants for this position are required to have earned a Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school, hold a Pennsylvania Attorney’s License and have at least three years of job related experience, two or more years of which are job related experience for a District Attorney’s Office.
Criminal background check is required.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Accountabilities:
District Attorney’s Office
- Prepare and prosecute cases on the Criminal List trial list
- Respond to citizens, victims and law enforcement personnel.
- Handle emergency and investigative matters from law enforcement and citizens.
- Adhere to the policies of the District Attorney’s office in the disposition of cases.
- Coordinate with other prosecution offices.
- Enforce probation and parole violations.
- Handle appellate work to include federal appeals.
- Perform other duties, tasks and special projects, as required.
Qualifications/Preferred Skills, Knowledge & Experience
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
- Pennsylvania Attorney’s License.
- Three years of job-related experience. Two or more years of job-related experience for District Attorney Office.
- Must have strong analytical, research and writing skills.
- Knowledge of the law (statutes, court cases, rules and regulations).
- Must be able to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Must have a professional and competent attitude, demeanor and appearance.
- Ability to maintain confidential information and handle confidential matters.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Twelve hours of continuing legal education is required annually.
- A valid driver’s license and use of a personal vehicle is required.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Ability to write clearly and concisely under tight time constraints.
- Knowledge of court policy.
- Knowledge or ability to learn about Washington County policies and procedures.
- Sufficient knowledge of law to work on cases independently.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to prioritize.
- Ability to exhibit sound and accurate judgement.
- Ability to handle and resolve recurring problems.
- Ability to establish priorities.
- Ability to multi-task and carry tasks to completion.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have:
- Basic Word skills
- Basic Outlook skills (Calendar and Email)
- Basic Internet research skills
- Westlaw (legal research) skills
- Court Management System skills
Salary: $71,320.00 plus benefits (increasing to $73,459.00 as of January 1, 2024)
Please send resume’s to:
Leslie L. Ridge, Esq.
First Assistant District Attorney
Washington County DA’s Office
26 South Main Street
Washington PA 15301