Allegheny County Assistant District Attorney
An Allegheny County Assistant District Attorney performs a variety of duties associated with prosecuting criminal cases. The job is multifaceted. In addition to analyzing evidence and deciding when criminal prosecution is warranted, Assistant District Attorneys must also argue cases in court and prosecute violations of the Pennsylvania Crimes Code. One central function of the District Attorney’s Office is to pursue justice during the prosecution of violators of the criminal laws at all stages of the juvenile and adult court system. This includes juvenile adjudicatory proceedings, adult preliminary hearings, trials, appeals, and post-conviction and federal habeas corpus proceedings. Attorneys from the Allegheny County District Attorney’s Office appear in Allegheny County Magisterial District Court, Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas, the Pennsylvania Superior and Commonwealth Courts, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, and in the federal Western District of Pennsylvania, Third Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. The Allegheny County District Attorney’s Office also facilitates and maintains numerous diversionary programs for those charged with a violation of the PA Crimes Code. The selected candidate cannot maintain a private practice and must become a resident of Allegheny County.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent research skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office or related software.
- Strong foundation with Pa Rules of Evidence.
Education and Experience:
- Graduate of an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania*
*Those sitting for the Pennsylvania Bar exam in 2022 may also be considered and may be hired on the contingency they accomplish successful passage of the bar exam.
The Allegheny County District Attorney’s Office is an Equal Opportunity employer.
Reply to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with a cover letter and resume.
Salary: $65,000 annually with full Allegheny County employee benefits. This is an entry-level position.