Luzerne County Assistant District Attorney
Position: Full Time Assistant District Attorney
Department: Luzerne County District Attorney’s Office
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time, Union, Non-Exempt
Salary: $60,500.00 (non-negotiable)
An Assistant District Attorney (ADA) is responsible for representing the Commonwealth’s position and interest when individuals are charged with committing a criminal act. Involvement in the cases assigned to the ADA begins with the initial stages of the investigation and continues through all stages of the investigation and prosecution, up to and including the sentencing and any post-sentence motions.
Minimum requirements include being in good standing and admitted to practice before the Bar of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- The Assistant District Attorney may be responsible for specific types of crime prosecution such as domestic disputes, child abuse, narcotics, sexual assaults, major crimes, elder abuse and DUI.
- The Assistant District Attorney must formulate trial strategy, determine sentence to be sought, conduct plea negotiations and research applicable case law.
- The Assistant District Attorney is responsible for ascertaining the facts of the case, work closely with law enforcement, secure expert testimony and prepare witnesses for trial.
- The Assistant District Attorney will act as a resource for law enforcement, other Assistant District Attorneys, Detectives and lawyers, and attend community outreach programs when asked by the District Attorney.
- The Assistant District Attorney must advise police on matters of filing complaints when asked, attend write-ups and/or preliminary hearings, and secure additional information from law enforcement personnel when required.
- The Assistant District Attorney must communicate information on case status to all involved parties such as defense attorneys, law enforcement and victims.
- The Assistant District Attorney must be proficient at legal research, provide necessary training in his/her designated specialty, and be able to communicate effectively and work closely with all support staff and detectives within the office.
- Additional responsibilities are at the discretion of the District Attorney.
No application will be accepted in instances where the applicant has any pending criminal charges filed against him/her, other than minor traffic violations, in this or any other jurisdiction. No applicant shall have any pending disciplinary complaints or proceedings brought against him/her by the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme County of Pennsylvania or the Disciplinary Board of any other jurisdiction. An applicant is obligated to disclose any prior criminal charges and convictions, other than minor traffic violations, as well as any disciplinary complaints and proceedings brought against him/her by the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania or the Disciplinary Board of any other jurisdiction.
Applicants must submit a resume, writing sample and list of three professional references to the District Attorney’s Office, 200 North River Street, Wilkes-Barre, Pa 18711.
Send Cover Letter, application, resume and references to:
District Attorney’s Office
Luzerne County Court House
Attention: Amanda Gilmer
200 North River Street
Wilkes-Barre, Pa. 18711-1011
(Application can be found on County Website)
The County of Luzerne is an EEO/ADA Employer