York County Trial Deputy Prosecutor
Salary : $67,000.00 Annually – Full Time
Department: District Attorney’s Office
Trial Deputy Prosecutors are the first-line attorneys charged with completing the mission of the District Attorney’s Office. First and foremost, a Trial Deputy is in fact a trial attorney, and as such must possess superior analytical abilities, excellent communication skills, a thorough comprehension of the current state of the law, and a commanding persona in the courtroom.
Under the direct supervision of a Senior Deputy Prosecutor, the Trial Deputy is responsible for the prosecution of all types of misdemeanor criminal offenses and handles all phases of those prosecutions from pre-arrest investigation through post-sentencing appeals. The Trial Deputy performs their duties in accordance with this office’s mission statement and commitment to diversity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen assigned cases for arraignment, plea offer, pretrial litigation, trial presentation and post-trial litigation.
- Conduct pretrial and post-trial hearings, bench and jury trials, summary conviction appeals, preliminary hearings and current business sessions assigned to the team.
- Prepare plea offers and communicate them to defendants and their attorneys.
- Verify the Rule 600 status of each case.
- Evaluate the relative merits of each assigned case to assist the Senior Deputy in prioritizing each term’s trial list in, taking into consideration: Rule 600; witness availability; relative severity of the crime; impact on the victim and community; special considerations of the arresting officer; strength of the evidence; credibility of the witnesses; and other special policy considerations as they apply to each case.
- Prepare pretrial, post-trial and appellate briefs and memoranda of law.
- Coordinate activities with law enforcement, the County Detective, support staff personnel, Case Manager and Victim/Witness Coordinator assigned to the team.
- Perform the duties of the Senior Deputy during temporary periods of absence or vacancy.
A Trial Deputy Prosecutor must be a licensed attorney, admitted to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Please send resumes to Kyle King, Chief Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.